Testing the Mennonite in Me

As some as you may know already, I had my first go at making the infamous Fleisch Perishky (Meat buns). Haven't heard of it? OK, maybe it's just infamous to the Mennonites. 


It was a lot of work. I always thought my mom was being dramatic when she would say that, and now I know why she very seldomly makes these. I used a recipe from the Mennonite Girls Can Cook cookbook, page 138. I think this is the same recipe on their blog. Except, I halved it because anything that uses 8 cups of flour is going to make a LOT of food.

THEY TURNED OUT FANTASTIC!! There were a few bumps along the way (such as tasting it and finding it too salty, and so I rinsed the onion mix off the meat as best as I could. I won't use onion mix in the future). But still totally worth it!!! I'm bringing them (unfortunately for you) to Birch Bay, WA with me to share with Kyle's (dutch, perishky-virgin) family.



Below are some pictures. It probably took about 3 hours in total. I also cooked dinner in the middle of it. I made Mac n Cheese from Annie's Eats blog. I liked it, but didn't love it. I don't know what I did wrong. 








2 comments

marilyn kampen 9:32 PM

they look amazing! please save one for me :)

Alison 7:54 AM

Those look amazing!