Rhubarb Crumble - Happy Rhubarb Season!
I used a recipe from a cookbook that my Auntie Audrey gave me for our wedding (similar to the Mennonite Treasury, it was a collection of recipes from members of her church). It wasn't quite the way my mom makes it, but yummy nonetheless! And easy!
I ate it for breakfast this morning with a side of plain greek yogurt and it was a great combo! That with my homemade latte made it a great morning!
Rhubarb Crumble - Tina Penner from Blumenort EMC Church in Manitoba.
8 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup cold butter or margarine
In saucepan, combine rhubarb and 3/4 cup sugar. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes. Pour into a greased 13" x 9" baking dish.
In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over rhubarb. Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes.
Yield: 12 servings
***
I only had 7 cups of rhubarb, and didn't have a 13 x 9 dish so I used a 9 x 9 and had a bit left over for a cutie single serving (which I had in my lunch today and it was great!). I had lots of crumble left over, as I was afraid to put it all on. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Like pie crust for example. I LOVE pie crust! But when a pie has too much crust, and not enough filling, I struggle to finish the crust at the end. That's just me anyway. Experiment with how you like it I guess!
Note: A crumble, I think, is different than a crisp. This dish wasn't crispy crunchy. I have to keep experimenting =) But it was still delicious with ice cream (and greek yogurt!).
HAPPY RHUBARB SEASON!



Post a Comment