Puffed Wheat Squares, Quelf, and Friendship

I had never made Puffed Wheat Squares before, but man I had a hankering for them! The recipe is from a cookbook I got from my Auntie Audrey called "The Light Rising: A collection of favourite recipes of the Blumenort EMC Church Family."


Old Fashioned Puffed Wheat Squares by Irma Plett


1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
8 cups puffed wheat (I was told they would be in the baking aisle, and they were in the cereal aisle after all!)


Mix all ingredients except puffed wheat in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil and let boil 1-2 minutes. Stir in puffed wheat. Mix and press into a greased 9" X 13" pan. Cool and cut into squares. 

I thought that doing 8 cups of puffed wheat would be too much and never get eaten. Well, I didn't even think of taking a picture of it until it was half done because we just kept eating! All but 4 squares were eaten in one night. I was pretty impressed, and a little bit sad the next day when I realized I didn't have that many left overs. I will just have to make them again!

Adriana said her Mom adds a coffee flavour to her Puffed Wheat Squares. That would be pretty good! Maybe espresso powder??

Before, during, and after eating these yummy treats we played a game called Quelf. HILARIOUS. Below are also some photos of us playing. hehehe





 Kyle looking very disappointed in my answer.

 Deep in thought. 




 Hula!

I know this is an awful photo. But this was hilarious.