Happy Birthday Mom!
Sunday morning (before church!) I made a Chocolate Fudge cake which was so so yummy! I've made it before, but this time I left out the caramel buttercream layers because they were a lot of work (worth it when it's the only baking you're doing). The recipe is found from Sweetapolita's blog. I will keep making it! Because I put all the batter into one pan (vs. splitting it up into 2 or 3 layers), the middle didn't get quite done, but no one seemed to mind :) I just really really did not want to over cook it, because over cooked fudgy cake is not that good. Something to note for next time, that's all. It probably just needed to be cooked about 5-10 minutes longer.
Now for Mom's present!!
PERISHKY!
I had made perishky before too, but on Saturday after I spent 3 hours making it, I was not satisfied. The dough didn't rise so it made very dense, non-fluffy, non-amazing, kind of meat buns. Not perishky. But, because I LOVE MY MOTHER I tried again on Sunday afternoon. The recipe is from the Mennonite Girls Can Cook book and it asks you to heat up the liquid to create "hot liquid" to pour over the flour/yeast mixture. I think they should be more specific with what they mean by "hot". Anyway, the second time around I made sure to heat the liquid only to a warm "lukewarm" temperature, and I just kneeded it all by hand instead of using my mixer. They turned out perfectly! It was definitely closer to "can't-eat, can't-sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over-the-fence, World Series kind of stuff" than the last batch was. PS. Anyone who was a kid in the 90's should know where that quote is from.
Saturday's blah vs. Sunday's horrah!
Happy Birthday Mom!



Post a Comment