Happy Easter!
I tried two different recipes for PASKA (Easter Bread). I started at noon, and everything was packed away at 7:00pm. Although, a little visit by Andrea & Gavin helped break up the time a bit. The first recipe was Lovella's from the Mennonite Girls Can Cook Website. Brandie told me to make sure to follow the directions exactly! So I did. Another friend told me she found it too citrus-y, but I thought it turned out perfect! It was fluffy and light, and delicious! I also made the traditional icing that Lovella included. I halved the recipe for the icing and only put it on the one loaf that I made, the "popper" paska's, and a few of the buns. The rest I saved for cream cheese icing :)
The second recipe I made was my mother's recipe. Her recipe was significantly shorter than Lovella's, and for some reason (and I don't blame it on the recipe at all) the buns didn't rise very well. Something went wrong in between there and I can't really trace it, possibly the warm milk. Regardless, they still tasted great! Only slightly more dense. Worked well for the "popper" paska's. Her recipe below:
1 1/4 tbsp yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar.
Mix together in a separate bowl.
1 cup scalded milk
3/8 cup of margarine (mom, what the heck??)
Scald milk then add margarine. Let cool a bit before adding to yeast mixture.
Beat together: 3 medium eggs or 2 large.
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
bit of vanilla (a bit??! I used 1/2 tsp.)
Just a rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange (puree) - I used a vegetable peeler to thinly peel them and purreed them in a food processor.
Add yeast mixture with milk mixture. Add approx. 6-7 cups of flour to make soft dough. Let rise 2 hours. Punch down and shape into buns. Let rise approx. 2 hours. Bake 325 degrees F for 10-15 min.



Post a Comment